8/26/2010

Let It Be

The Queen of Heaven meets the Queen of soul!  When thinking of my first song to blog about, there wasn't a choice. Aretha Franklin’s rendition of the Beatle's Let It Be is a litany that washes over the listener like baptism.  Darkness in the world, broken-hearted people, and cloudy nights?  Just take a look at the headlines.   

This lyric isn't about saying "Let it all be and let God take care of it."  No.  It is an echo of Mary's own fiat.  Her mission was recieved in a world as troubling as ours.  She knew that it was not going to be an easy road if she said "yes".  She was troubled at the annunciation, and I don't think because an angel appeared in front of her.  (Which would trouble the best of us!)  She knew that bringing the messiah into the world would bring pain beyond that of childbirth.

These words have a special ring for me as a Brother:  they are one of the mottos of my congregation.  Let it be.  (We use the Latin, Ecce Ancilla.)  When I see someone who is homeless, or others in need, this song reminds me I am baptized in the Spirit that washed over Mary at the Annunciation.  Whatever may be my required response to human need:  let it be.  Sometimes, I'm asked to say "yes" without knowing the full measure of the commitment I am making or where the road will take me.  In such times, this song brings a measure of peace.  Through this lyric, Mary comes to me, and I can receive grace from her conviction to take a step forward.  A step of cooperation in her Son's work of redeeming this world and the people in it.  Another step forward as one of the baptized.

Listen to Aretha's version on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment