8/26/2010

Well, Here Goes!

Thomas Aquanis says that "grace builds on nature."  Who am I to argue?

One of my earliest memories is of a journal my aunt (and Godmother) kept of song lyrics.  Back in her day, there was no such thing as a quick google of one's favorite lyrics, and a right-click cut-and-paste.  Nope.  This was retro when retro was new:  a journal kept on looseleaf in a three-ring binder covered with flowers.  (She was a child of the 60's and 70's.)  Each lyric was written by hand, representing time spent listening to the song over and over again, just to be sure she got it right.  This wasn't a painstaking task, but an act of devotion.  She loved music.

Thus began my own devotion to music.  I like music of all genres, sometimes in languages I don't understand.  Sometimes, it may be the beat that gets my feet tapping.  Sometimes, the song may simply be fun.  At others, the song might remind me of a time with friends or family.  Maybe the lyric gives words to something I am not able to express well myself.  All of this is great, but it is not what this blog is about.

I'm a Roman Catholic Brother.  I'm a Dehonian.  That is, a member of the Priests of the Sacred Heart.  As a Catholic, and a Dehonian, I've found grace in my natural love for music.  (Hence, the opening reference to Aquanis.)  Many times the lyrics and music I love have become fodder for deeper faith, even if the song is not overtly religious.  (Often when the song is not overtly religious.)  As a minister, I've also made use of songs such as these in teaching and passing the faith on to other generations.  (Sometimes, I've had students roll their eyes when I bring out that folk music of the 60's and 70's that was my aunt's mainstay.)  At other times, a poingnant lyric from a song heard daily on the radio has led to meaningful discussion, and I hope some measure of deepend faith when the song was next heard on the radio, or their mp3 player.

And so, in this blog, I will introduce you to My Dehonian Playlist.  It is a real playlist.  These are songs I turn to when I want to re-energize my commitment as a religious Brother, as a person of faith.  These are songs that I find have inspired and challenged me to live well my particular slice of our great, wide faith.  Just like that handwritten journal gave expression to my aunt's favorite music, I hope for this blog to be a record of those songs that are worth my time and that serve as an inspiration to my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment